PCIP Semester International Student FAQs

Yes, students who have an active F-1 status for at least one academic year at Pomona College may apply to PCIP. This means you are only eligible if you were enrolled under F-1 status during the Fall 2022 and Spring 2023.

CPT stands for Curricular Practical Training and provides temporary work authorization for active F-1 status students. Eligibility requirements:

  • You must have been enrolled for at least one academic year on an active F-1 status preceding the term for which CPT is requested. Typically, first-year students are first eligible for an internship during the summer following their first year of attendance at Pomona College.
    • Please note that the class of 2027 is not eligible for CPT until Summer 2024. Reach out to your international student advisor, Kathy Quispe, if you have questions about your eligibility.
  • You must have declared a major; the major must be the one shown on your I-20, and the proposed work must relate to that major. Please see the CPT Forms and Procedures webpage for the step-by-step process.

As a reminder, you must receive CPT authorization prior to starting your internship. Failure to get the authorization first may result in your SEVIS record being terminated. 

Yes, students who are on active F-1 status are required to receive work authorization through CPT if working off-campus with a U.S. employer. Please see the CPT Forms and Procedures webpage for the step by step process.

PCIP awards are disbursed to students via direct deposit. Students who are offered a PCIP award are required to submit a Pomona College Direct Deposit Form, Bank Documentation, and a W8 Form.

Please note, F-1 international students must also be able to provide an ITIN or SSN to fill out the W8 Form in order to receive the stipend. Please contact Kathy Quispe for any questions.

Note: F-1 International Students are only eligible for CPT after completing one academic year at the college + declaring a major. F-1 International Students must also be able to provide an ITIN or SSN to fill out the W8 form in order to receive the PCIP stipend.

Please contact Kathy Quispe, Assistant Director of International Student & Scholar Services, at kathy.quispe@pomona.edu for more details about CPT eligibility.